What better way to ward off the seasonal chill than by knitting roses. Lavalie's Garden is a stockinette cowl worked in the round, vertically, as an enclosed loop with picot trim edges. Vintage roses of 2 stranded colorwork decorate its outside surface, with background color continuing on to the inside self-lining. A slight shift in needle size keeps stitch tensions between its 2 color and single color stockinette in sync.
One size – 11" / 28 cm height by 28" / 71 cm circumference
Shown in Chickadee by Quince & Co. (100% wool; 181 yds per 50g skein);
• Background (MC): damson; 3 skeins, or for comparable yarn approximately 500 yds / 460 m
• Flowers (CC): winesap; 1 skein, or for comparable yarn approximately 150 yds / 140 m.
• 24" / 60 cm US5 / 3.75 mm circular (circ), or size to obtain 2 stranded colorwork pattern gauge
• 24" / 60 cm US4 / 3.5 mm circ, or size to obtain stockinette stitch gauge
• Waste yarn for Provisional cast on
• Stitch marker
• Tapestry needle
• T-pins for blocking (blocking wires optional)
GAUGE (after blocking)
• 24 sts and 36 rows to 4" / 10 cm in stockinette stitch using smaller circ
• 24 sts and 33.5 rows to 4" / 10 cm in 2 stranded colorwork pattern using larger circ
Provisional cast on, circular knitting, stranded colorwork, decreasing (k2tog), increasing (yo), grafting, and blocking.
4 page pdf includes pattern instructions, photographs, rose color pattern chart, links for online instructions, and definitions for relevant abbreviations.
You'll find this pattern on sale for $6.00 on Ravelry – buy now.